Travel Bucket List

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport| , , , , |

Wednesday, July 24, 2013


If money and time were of no consequence, where in the world would you travel? While I may be landlocked in the US for the near (and far) foreseeable future, my traveling alter ego would be a globe trotter. You better believe that she would easily fill up her passport before it is time to renew and have to ask for another one. (Side note: How does that work? Not like I will ever be in the predicament. But just curious.) This alter ego of mine would also have the art of packing down to a science. No more experimenting with the zip-lock bag method, or the roll-and-stuff method. No, she would know exactly how to pack for three weeks in a carry on like everyone says you can do. She would also have a sixth sense about where the hidden gem restaurants in a new town are. 

My travel alter ego would have stamps from: 

1// Russia: After watching Anna Karenina I fell completely head over heels in love. And throw in the Winter Olympics in Sochi in January, I'd say Russia is looking pretty good right now. I am an extreme Olympics fan. During the London games, I would watch three simultaneous events on my tv, computer and phone Minus the fact that they are hiding an American seller-of-intelligence-secrets in their airports. Russia might not like America, but I still want to visit. Don't worry, I'll practice my accent, call everyone Vlad and they won't know where I'm from.

2// Highclere Castle: Home of Downton Abbey and the home of the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon. Interesting fact: the 5th Earl of Carnarvon sponsored Howard Carter who discovered King Tut's tomb. Currently, there is an Egypt exhibit in the cellars of Highclere. Count me in. 

3 // Greece: I have gotten it into my mind that the best way and only way I want to see the Mediterranean is by cruise, you can read about Casey's Mediterranean cruise here. Think  about it, the boat is like a floating hotel that you don't have to arrange. There are no train tickets to purchase. Your excursions can be planned if you want, or you can explore on your own. Granted, I will not be cruising on a Carnival ship no matter how much of a discount they offer. After all of those disasters, I understand that cruising has a bad reputation, but I have been on two Disney cruises to the Bahamas and they were wonderful.

4 // Bali: I watch a lot of House Hunters International. There I admit it and I'm not ashamed. Sam and I even will have whole text conversations about families and how obnoxious they can be, especially when they are looking at flats in Paris. Secretly we are jealous of them. But back to Bali...It is EXTREMELY affordable to travel there once you fork over the price of the plane ticket. You can live like a king for pennies a day and many of the people buying vacation homes were able to afford maids. Add in lush jungles, pristine beaches an a unique local culture and I am a happy camper.

5 // American road trip:West coast I'm coming for you. My cousin is graduating from college in Malibu in May, which sounds like the perfect excuse to load up a rental car and cruise down the 101. Actually this sounds like a brilliant plan for non-alter-ego-traveler Jess so I'm going to get the ball rolling on this plan.

6 // Finland: I read in the Wall Street Journal about these igloos that you can stay in that have an open ceiling so you can watch the Northern Lights. How amazing would that be? Don't worry, they have thermal panels to make sure you stay nice and toasty while watching the show. For more places to view the Northern Lights, read the article here. I'm kind of obsessed with the Nordic countries in general. I would finally have an excuse to wear all of my fair isle patterned sweaters, scarves and socks. Trust me, there are a lot of them in my closet.

So now I will ask you, what is on you travel bucket list? Any ideas on how to turn them into a reality?

6 comments:

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

These places sound amazing, greece and bali is on my list as well.

Unknown said...

Greeeeeece. I went to HUG, and I'm sure you know that a cruise to the greek islands is one of our big trips. It was a great way to see the islands!
But you of course will have to visit Athens, too. No other city quite like it!

Shannon at One Tea, One Coffee said...

Russia and Finland sound awesome, I should add them to my list! :)

Funny you mentioned passports, since my H currently has 1 page left in his and I just looked this up...if you run out of pages you send them your passport, $82, and a form and they send it back with more pages. Or you can just get a totally new one (but I think you have to pay for it)

Elena Alice said...

I'll be visiting London, Paris, and the Cote d'Azur (Nice, Monte Carlo, St. Paul de Vence, and Eze) next month, but my bucket list for the years to come include:
- Bruges, Belgium
- Santorini, Greece
- all.of.italy.
- Amsterdam
-Prague
- Ireland
- Scotland

The list goes on, but these are the top ones!

Jess said...

I totally watch House Hunters.... There, I admitted it too!

I also really want to see the Northern Lights! They just seem so magical and wonderful.

My list:
- Slovenia (where my family is from)
- Ireland
- Spain
- England
- Paris
- Greece
- Italy

I really really really want to do an American road trip as well, especially of the Pacific Northwest and through Utah and Montana and out to the East coast.
I'm sure the West coast will love you :)

Also, I think it's kind of funny that we are both named Jess, AND love Jess Day. Coincidence? Or friendship made in heaven? :)

xoxo Jess
Foreign Room

ashley12691 said...

My list includes Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Ecuador, Brazil, Scottland, Ireland, Greece...haha and the list goes on. But these are at the top of the list.