Little Rock Art After Dark

Monday, September 16, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Monday, September 16, 2013

Hello! How was your weekend? Since I finished watching all of the episodes of Scandal in preparation for the third season I decided to get off the couch this weekend.

If you're in the Little Rock area I would highly recommend the 2nd Friday Art after Dark event in Downtown and River Market. The local art galleries and museums stay open late for this free event to showcase their exhibits. Did I mention that it's free? I visited the Arkansas Historical Museum, Arkansas Studies Institute and the Old Statehouse. Exhibits included: original patents (think roller skates, washing boards and sewing machines), Razorbacks and Rock Stars and Lights! Camera! Arkansas! There was a little something for everyone. Whether you are into history, abstract, modern, watercolors, or oils, you won't be disappointed. The Marriott was also hosting painting lessons at 6:30, but I arrived too late for those.

There is supposedly a trolley that will take you from event to event. So I got on what I thought was the correct trolley, but turns out the one that I needed was a bus that looks like a trolley? Does that make sense to you? Yeah, me neither. Thankfully the district is small enough to walk around.

While there are several great places to eat downtown, I read great reviews for Layla's Gyro across town. When in doubt, head for the fresh baked pita bread and hummus. It may be a hole in the wall in a strip mall with florescent lighting, but they have the best hummus, pita and lamb that I have ever tasted this side of Greece. And can we talk about the prices for a minute? Baklava for $1? Gyro for 5? It's the reverse of highway robbery.

What did you do this weekend?

2 comments:

Megan said...

Yay so happy you watch Scandal!! I can't wait for season three. And food in Greece is surprisingly cheap too - one of the best meals I had in Europe cost me 2 euros in Athens lol.

TheJessaOlsonBlog said...

this is awesome. they didn't have any of this stuff when I still live in Arkansas!! Maybe I should plan a trip back asap!!!