In case you won't make it home for the holidays

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport||

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Sometimes it just isn't possible to make it home for the holidays. Maybe you're an expat and the airlines decided not to put December tickets on sale. Or maybe you only have time to visit one part of your family. Or maybe you have decided to make your own holiday traditions with friends. Whatever your reason, you can still keep in touch with all your family and friends despite the miles separating you.

How to stay in touch with family and friends: 

1. Start a blog. You may not think that your day-to-day activities are exciting, but I guarantee that those who rarely get to see you will enjoy the posts. If you are only going to be away from home for a specific period of time, writing everything down, either in a journal or on the web, is a wonderful way to keep track of all your thoughts, feelings and experiences so you never have to forget a minute of it.

2. Send them snail mail. Skype and iMessage are great for day-to-day conversations and are even better because they are free. But there is nothing better than receiving snail mail from someone you haven't seen in a while. So if you haven't already, why not design a Christmas card to send to your loved ones?

Tiny Prints takes the hard work out of designing beautiful Christmas cards. With hundreds of styles to choose from, it's hard to choose just one. Is your new favorite trends gold and foil-stamped? They have that. Or maybe you are not into the "red and green" Christmas color scheme. Have no fear. You can view all of their Christmas card designs here. Plus there are infinite upgrades from pearl shimmer paper and decorative cutouts to colored envelopes and patterned liners.

My parents and I (and my dog) had such a fun time designing our card last week. Here is the final selection followed by some of the other top contenders. I can't wait for them to arrive!
3. Create a video series. If you are living overseas and don't want to pay to mail a lot of cards to the States, I love the idea of creating a Christmas video. It would be great to take video clips from all of your travels throughout the year to keep everyone posted on what you've been up to.

4. Send care packages. Are there specialty stores in your area? Send your family local products that they can't get at home. If they aren't able to visit you, you can send a little piece of your home to them.

What about you? What do you do to keep in touch with family and friends around the holidays?

6 comments:

Pristine Remolona said...

This is a great post! I've spent Christmas away from home before, but this will be my first year spending Christmas away because I LIVE in a different country. Will have to start brainstorming the best ways to stay in touch over the holidays

Amy Lynne Hayes said...

I absolutely LOVE Christmas cards! Of the proper printed kind especially. When I lived in London, my entire class exchanged cards - all 75 or so of us. Luckily I have always been able to make it home for Christmas, but I have missed out on a few Thanksgivings here and there. It's a price we pay for a world-wide lifestyle. :)

Claire (@Kurea_San) said...

I really love sending and receiving snail mail, and always try to at least send postcards home every time I go away - even if I'm just holidaying in the UK. I haven't been home in NZ for Christmas for about 6 years now - so the snail mail is turning into quite a tradition!
Claire xx
http://somewhereyonder.blogspot.co.uk

Jess Boyd said...

So glad to know that texts, emails and e-vites won't be completely taking over the world in the near future!

Jess Boyd said...

That's crazy that you all exchanged cards! 75 is a lot of envelopes to seal and address. I think that might be the only downside of sending cards. And yes, it is the price you pay, but at least it means you have access to lots of thoughtful and unique gifts from your home and travels.

Jess Boyd said...

Aww, enjoy your holiday in Scotland! While I'm sure it's hard to be away, being in a new and exciting place can make up for it.